The Return of Jesus Christ
That Jesus Christ will return to the earth again is emphasised in the New Testament. It is an exciting doctrine because when Jesus Christ returns he will give eternal life to those who have believed and obeyed the true Gospel. Yes we can have eternal life and eternal happiness with Jesus Christ in his coming Kingdom.
There are over 200 references to the return of Christ in the New Testament, of which just a few are reviewed below. In summary these bible passages teach that:
- Jesus Christ will bodily and visibly return to this earth
- He will come with great power and with many angels
- He will raise from the dead those that have known the true gospel, including his faithful followers
- He will judge those raised (and those still alive at his coming). He will reward the faithful with eternal life and the unfaithful will be consigned to death
- He will establish God’s kingdom on the earth. See here for much more on this.
Here is a sample of passages referring to the return of Jesus Christ:
- Matt 16:27 For the Son of man ( a term Jesus Christ used of himself) shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
- Matt 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
- Matt 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
- Acts 1:11 (After Jesus had ascended into heaven, angels spoke to the apostles who were watching) Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven. (The angels said that Jesus would return in the same way he went up into heaven)
- 1 Cor 1:7 ... waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
- 1 Cor 15:22-23 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.
- Phil 3:20 For our commonwealth is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
The return of Christ is a key theme in the writings of the apostles. For example, in the First letter to the Thessalonians every chapter concludes with a reference to the return of Christ.
- 1 Thess 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus,
- 1 Thess 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
- 1 Thess 3:13 To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.
- 1 Thess 4:15-16 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
- 1 Thess 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
The return of Jesus Christ is an exciting prospect. Don’t let this marvellous future slip away from you! Jesus will be here soon. Please, prayerfully read your Bible, and seek out the true Gospel that you may have eternal life when Jesus comes.